EVANGELISTS, PASTORS AND TEACHERS
1. What is the meaning of the word “Evangelist”?
Answer: The word “Evangelist” is derived from the Greek “Euangelistes” which is a combination of “eu” meaning “well” and “angeles” meaning a “messenger” and denotes a preacher of the gospel, one who proclaims glad tidings or good news.
2. What are Bible examples of Evangelists?
Acts 21:8; 2 Timothy 4:5.
3. What does the word “Pastor” mean?
Answer: The word “Pastor” comes from the Greek “Poinmon” which means a “shepherd”, one who guides as well as feeds the flock. In the Greek Bible it is found only in Ephesians 4:11.
4. What other terms are used in reference to the office of the Pastor?
Answer: The term most frequently used in reference to the office of Pastor is “Elder” which comes from the Greek “Presbuteres” meaning one who is mature in spiritual experience. Another word is “Bishop” which comes from the Greek “Episkopes” meaning an “Overseer”.
5. What are some of the places where the word “Elder” is used?
Acts 14:23; Acts 15:2; Acts 20:17; 1 Timothy 5:17.
6. Where do we find the term “Bishop” used?
1 Timothy 3:1; Titus 1:7.
7. What are the qualifications of this office?
1 Peter 5:2; Titus 1:6-9; 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Acts 20:28.
8. What are the duties of the Pastor?
1 Timothy 5:17; Acts 20:28; James 5:14, 15.
9. What scriptures indicate that there was a plurality of men holding this office in a local church?
Philippians 1:1; 1 Timothy 5:17; Titus 1:5.
10. What spirit should predominate among the Elders?
1 Peter 5:5, 6; 1 Timothy 5:21.
11. How should the office of the Pastor be regarded?
1 Timothy 5:17-19; Hebrews 13:17.
12. How should the Pastor relate himself to the members?
1 Peter 5:2, 3.
13. Is the Pastor the only one who ministers?
1 Corinthians 14:26-31.
Note: The concept of the Pastor being the sole minister is not scriptural. This idea stems from the gradual development and growth of the power and authority of the bishops over the laity in the apostacy of the Church. The New Testament order provides a plurality of ministries whereby every member of the Body, the Church, functions in a God-given spiritual capacity. This is God’s method of bringing the Church to maturity or perfection [Ephesians 4:11-16].
14. The fifth office mentioned is that of the “Teachers”. What scriptures show their place in the ministry?
Acts 13:1; 1 Corinthians 12;28; 1 Timothy 2:7; Titus 2:3.
Note: The “Five Fold Ministry” is represented by the human hand [1 Kings 18:44]. The THUMB, the APOSTLE, can easily touch and work with all the other fingers. The INDEX or pointing finger, the PROPHET, foretells future, points out sin. The EVANGELIST, the longest finger, reaches out for souls as Philip, the Evangelist, the PASTOR, the RING FINGER or the heart finger, a heart for the sheep. TEACHERS, the LITTLE finger, can get into the ear when others cannot.