No one can read the Bible through without becoming strongly aware that JEHOVAH (YAHWEH) the Almighty God of Israel requires the human race to obey Him. Indeed, without obedience a person’s worship of the Creator is futile. Doubtless it is Christendom’s greatest error that so many Church leaders have somehow convinced themselves that the Ten Commandments are cancelled and done away with. A greater misconception can hardly be imagined. The ultimate results of these errors are filling western prisons with criminals too numerous to cope with. The fact is that the Scriptures contain literally dozens of passages in which the Most High appeals to the sinner (the lawbreaker) to turn back from the ways of disobedience and death to the path of obedience and life. Faithful obedience is in fact the opposite of sin (an old-fashioned word meaning disobedience).
Obedience, if examined closely, is in fact an expression of faith. Obedience proves that faith is alive! Obedience is the only reliable sign that a believer loves God. Bible prophecy indicates that in the last days the entire world is going to be tested on this matter of obedience; and that once again, as in the days of old, the choice will be between the Commandments of God and the Traditions of Men. (See The Mark of the Beast).
The Stewarton Bible School, therefore, advises all its students to beware of the smooth-sounding arguments put forward by misguided preachers and false prophets who claim that it is no longer necessary to obey the Ten Commandments. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Holy One of Israel requires all His followers to obey His law, a fact that is borne out by the writings of all the prophets of God and repeatedly attested by the lives of holy men and women down through the ages. We would be miserably failing in our duties if we led you to believe anything else.
The TEN COMMANDMENTS are recorded in Exodus chapter 20: also at.
- Man’s duty according to Scripture is to Fear God and keep His commandments. This is the whole duty of man. Indeed, Yeshua the Messiah (Jesus the Christ) came to earth to make this fundamental fact a living reality in every believer’s life: to save people from their sins, that is – from breaking his Father’s law.
(Ecclesiastes 12:13, Matthew 1:21, Romans 8:3-4)
- Yahweh’s commandments have been observed by His faithful followers from the dawn of human history and they will continue unchanged through the endless cycles of eternity. They are in fact the Constitution of the mighty universe, the immutable Code of Practice every soul who enters the Kingdom of God will observe throughout time.
(Genesis 26:5, Exodus 16:28, Psalm 111:7-8, Matthew 5:17-18)
- The Most High has already pronounced irrevocable blessings on all who obey His laws, and curses on all who persistently disobey them. No mortal arguments, however attractive and weighty they may at first appear, can alter these facts. The choice offered to the human race, therefore, is between:
- Obedience: blessing and life on the one hand.
- Disobedience: cursing and death on the other.
(Deuteronomy 7:12-15, Deuteronomy 8:19-20, Leviticus 26:3-6, Deuteronomy 11:26-28, Revelation 22:14)
- The message of every prophet of God has been the same: “Turn from your evil ways and keep the commandments.”
(2 Kings 17:13-15, Ezekiel 20:11, Ezekiel 18:21&27)
- Consequently the true Church has always been made up of believers who endeavour who Trust and Obey God. Indeed, obedience is an expression of living faith and is by far the most reliable SIGN of true discipleship.
(1 Samuel 15:22, Jeremiah 11:4, 1 John 2:3-4, 1 John 5:3, Revelation 12:17, Revelation 14:12)
- By comparison, blatant disobedience of Yahweh’s law and the stubborn refusal to forsake pagan tradition is the mark of the false church. The worship of its members, no matter how many miracles they are able to perform, is classified by the Saviour as vain and futile.
(Matthew 15:8-9, Proverbs 28:9, Isaiah 29:13-14, Matthew 7:21-23)
- Being under grace in no way cancels a believer’s obligation to obey the Ten Commandments. If anything it increases it; for obedience if correctly understood is faith and love in action. Bear in mind that no one is above the law! Ask any policeman and he will confirm this fact: I repeat: No one is above the law!
(Romans 3:31, Romans 6:15-16, James 2:17, John 14:15)
- When questioned about how one may gain everlasting life, Jesus the author of salvation replied:
|“If ye will enter into life KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS.”|
- This amazing answer, and it must be right, is seldom if ever used by the preachers of today. And yet it is the one the Master gave when asked about the way to life. See Ezekiel 18:21,27-28 where this mandatory parameter for life is further explained.
- Moreover the Most High uses His law as a seal on the believer’s mind and actions. It is, figuratively speaking, placed in the foreheads and right hands of all those who obey Him. The forehead stands for one’s mind, beliefs and motives. The right hand represents ones actions, deeds and works.
(Deuteronomy 6:4-8, Proverbs 7:2-3, Isaiah 8:16, Revelation 7:3, Hebrews 8:8-10)
- In view of such overwhelming evidence, students are strongly advised firstly to have Faith in God and His Son Jesus Christ. They are then advised to add to their faith – obedience. Their obedience will demonstrate to men and angels that their faith is indeed alive. That, in essence, is the message of the Bible and it would be folly to avoid it.
(Proverbs 28:7-9, Revelation 22:14, Ecclesiastes 12:13, James 2:17-20)
For further study read Psalm 119 and the Sermon on the Mount, which is recorded in Matthew chapters 5 to 7. In these majestic passages the values and obligations of obedience are magnified and presented in their true perspective. Study them carefully and by Yahweh’s grace endeavour to put them into practice. Do not make the mistake of following the advice of misguided leaders who are blindly leading millions into error.
Author: David B Loughran
Stewarton Bible School, Stewarton, Scotland