The Holy Scriptures
The Holy Scriptures
Without a doubt The Bible is the world’s most remarkable book. Its sacred pages, now translated into thousands of languages and dialects, are daily studied by millions of believers in every nation under heaven. Its real value as the written word of YAHWEH the Almighty God of Israel has still, however, to be properly appreciated by the myriad minds that inhabit the universe. Only eternity will reveal the unimaginable wisdom and power of its divine author as unfolding events in time verify the accuracy of His statements and the efficiency of His laws. The Bible is the Manual for Living, Life’s User Guide,, the spiritual diet for the believer whatever his nationality, colour or station in life. Mankind’s greatest error is that, in the main, it has spurned the great truths of the Bible and rejected its divine Author and His generous offer of salvation.
The Bible itself states that it is the Word of the Lord and that “all Scripture is given by inspiration of God;” a claim which no other book has ever made and one which has already been justified by a profusion of facts. Did you know that one third of the Bible is given over to prophecy? A few amazing Bible predictions that have already come true are listed below.
- The astonishing details concerning the destruction and permanent desolation of the great city of Babylon, a city so advanced it had a tunnel under the river Euphrates some 2500 years ago. Babylon became the symbol of human ingenuity, glory and pride. But the Most High decreed its fall and total annihilation as an example of how all arrogant realms of evil will finally be overthrown and annihilated. Read Isaiah chapters 13 and 14, 25:1-10 and Jeremiah 50 and 51 and note how the inspired words of the prophets have come true – to the letter.
- The conquest of the city of Tyre and how that seemingly impregnable fortress would be completely demolished and even its rubble swept off the site and thrown into the sea. Ezekiel chapters 26 to 29.
Again, this prophecy was fulfilled to the letter and even today, over 2500 years later, the submerged remains of Tyre provide ample evidence that the prophets were accurately voicing the declarations of the Almighty God.
- The progression of the four empires of Babylonia, Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome, which would in time give way to a short-lived, 10 horned religio/political/economic combine that would rise to power just prior to the return of Jesus Christ.
(Daniel 2&7, Revelation 17)
- The Diaspora (dispersion) of the people of Israel to the four corners of the earth as a punishment for their persistent faithlessness and disobedience. And then the seemingly impossible task of regathering this same people to the land of Israel in the last days. Here is a living drama which has come true in our day; a drama not duplicated by any other nation in the world.
(Deuteronomy 28:63&65, 2 Kings 17:15-18, Isaiah 27:12, Ezekiel 11:17, 38:12, Jeremiah 31:8)
- The revelation of the following scientific facts thousands of years before men of medicine came upon them:
- The idea of putting a patient to sleep before a major operation. (Genesis 2:21)
- The existence of germs and the need for quarantine. (Leviticus 13)
- The fact that the earth is not flat, as was commonly supposed, but a sphere and that it is suspended in space. (Isaiah 40:22, Job 26:7)
- The fact that animals, birds, fish, etc. can only re-produce themselves “after their own kind”. Consequently enforced cross-breeding of species may produce monstrosities of some sort, but these would be quite incapable of reproducing themselves to establish a new kind. (Genesis 1:24-25)
- The breathtaking advances in every field of human knowledge and the stunning increase and speed of travel.. (Daniel 12:4)
- The development of power that could annihilate all life from this planet. A possible reference here to nuclear energy and the bomb. (Matthew 24:22)
- The terrifying escalation of trouble and confusion in every nation on earth at the end time. This period is aptly referred to in the Bible as the Time of Trouble. To be sure it has begun!
- The absolute certainty that inner turmoil and frustration of mind would be the lot of all who knowingly and persistently disobey the law of God. (Isaiah 48:22, Psalm 32:10)
- On the other hand, the assured peace and joy to the faithful followers of the Most High who obey His law. (Isaiah 48:18, Psalm 119:165)
In addition to the foregoing, there is the fact that the Bible still appeals to people of all age-groups and colour. And it is because of this array of facts that we now summarise the main reasons why students should make Bible study a daily habit.
- The Bible was written under inspiration of God. It is Yahweh’s Word.
(2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:21)
- The experiences and examples of the past have been recorded for our benefit, not merely as good moral lessons, but as dramatised prophecies of events that are scheduled to occur on a world scale in our day! So do pay special attention to the stories you read in the Bible; because they are more meaningful than you think. This fact is explained in 1 Corinthians 10:11 which says:
” Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.”
The word ensample means a pattern a type a figure which will serve as a warning to others.
- Great spiritual blessings and privileges are promised to those who read and obey Bible instructions.
(Revelation 22:14, Romans 15:4)
- It being impossible by the process of human reasoning to properly appreciate the Bible’s worth, one ought to study with a sustained inner prayer and yearning for divine assistance to understand the truths being read.
(Psalm 119:18, 1 Corinthians 2:14-16)
- Bible study is the principle ingredient that prompts and promotes the growth of living faith.
- Being God’s Word it is therefore your privilege as well as your duty, to read the Bible every day – and no amount of enthusiastic encouragement on our part could possibly do justice to the measure of blessing that will be yours if you do.
(Isaiah 34:16, Revelation 1:3)
By way of conclusion we will advise you to read a passage of the Bible every day of your life. And do not ignore or hastily skip over the Old Testament, for Yahweh the Almighty God of Israel has a message in every page of the Bible for you. Indeed, as pointed out above, every story contains invaluable clues to understanding the awesome realities being fulfilled on a universal scale in our day. In the Bible the Most High has given mankind miniature object lessons, living previews and scaled-down examples of how He is at this very moment ruling the mighty universe.
Author: David B Loughran
Stewarton Bible School, Stewarton, Scotland