The Stewarton Bible School would be guilty of serious neglect if it failed to warn its students of the divine judgement and retribution awaiting those who reject the God of Israel’s offer of salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ. The Bible is very clear on the point that though the Almighty is a Being of immeasurable goodness; and one who is merciful to a degree far beyond our ken, He is nevertheless, in the interests of universal justice and personal integrity, going to confront every unbeliever with proof of His divine presence and punish every unrepentant sinner for his sins.
That time of manifestation and proof, of investigation and retribution, is called the Day of Judgement. When that day – or rather when that time – arrives, and there is every indication that it is very near, the universe will witness an outpouring of wrath and punishment the like of which has never been seen before, nor ever shall be seen again. That day will herald its approach with a Time of Trouble on earth which will engulf our civilisation and reach its climax when all mankind will stand before the Judgement Seat of Christ.
These are absolute certainties. Therefore let all who study the texts referred to in this lesson give earnest attention to their lives and seek Yahweh’s mercy while it may be found. Because cold indifference to His offer of salvation through His Son Yeshua and a wilful rejection of His law will avail nothing on the terrible Day of Judgement. Indeed for multiplied millions the Day of Judgement will be a day of retribution and regret, a day of disaster and doom, a day of weeping and wailing – unparalleled in the memory of man.
For the obedient believer it will usher in eternal glory, peace and joy. But for the unbeliever it will be a day of anguish and annihilation.
Here is Scriptural proof of these stunning facts.
- Every soul that has ever lived must appear before the High Court of Heaven to be judged.
(Ecclesiastes 12:14, Romans 14:12, Hebrews 9:27)
- By divine decree Jesus Christ has already been appointed the Judge.
(John 5:22, Romans 2:16, 2 Corinthians 5:10)
- The eternal Law used in the great Day of Judgement will be none other than the law given by God through His servant Moses and magnified by Jesus.
(Matthew 5:17-19, Romans 2:12-13, James 2:11-12)
- Every motive, thought, word and deed will be under close scrutiny in the Day of Judgement. In view of this we should take heed as to how we live.
(Matthew 12:36, Revelation 20:12-13)
- The severity of the examination and the expectations of the Judge will be in direct proportion to the opportunities a person has had to learn and practice Yahweh’s Law. “To whom much has been given, from him much will be required.”
(Matthew 11:23-24, Luke 12:47-48)
- Judgement will begin with the Household of God (the Church). Unbelievers will be judged later.
(1 Peter 4:17-18, 1 Timothy 5:24, Revelation 22:10-12)
- The Day of Judgement has already been fixed. We cannot hasten or postpone it. It has been fixed.
(Revelation 14:6-7, Revelation 11:18, Acts 17:30-31)
- The sentences passed at the judgement will bring joy to believers who will obtain mercy for their sins. But unbelievers will leave the judgement in terrible anguish.
(2 Thessalonians 1:7-9, Hebrews 10:26-30, Matthew 13: 41-43)
- The first signs of the coming judgement are already apparent and their warning messages should be heeded by all students before it is eternally too late.
- The only way to escape being condemned at the judgement is to seek mercy and forgiveness NOW; to trust and obey Yahweh NOW – before the decree goes forth. Yahweh’s mercy, incidentally, is the only thing which will enable repentant sinners – and this includes all the church – to rejoice on the Day of Judgement.
But mercy must be sought before sentence is passed.
(Zephaniah 2:2-3, James 2:13 (last part), Luke 21:34-36)
We urge all readers to keep these awesome truths in mind and to act upon them.
Author: David B Loughran
Stewarton Bible School, Stewarton, Scotland